Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Caprese Pasta Salad

I'm back after taking a hiatus from cooking and blogging for the past few months. My return not-so-coincidentally coincides with the beginning of the second trimester of my pregnancy. I'm sure this news comes as no surprise as most of you are probably family or close friends (or just my mom) reading this, but if you didn't already know, David and I are having a baby! I didn't really have any morning sickness in the first trimester, but our meals consisted pretty much of eating out, eating cereal or eating pasta with olive oil and Parmesan if I was feeling especially energetic that day. My energy has recently returned, though, and I'm back to cooking dinner somewhat regularly again. 

For Mother's Day this year we had a wonderful day celebrating with the amazing mothers and grandmother in our lives. I made this caprese pasta salad to bring to dinner at my parents' house. This pasta salad is a great simple side dish to bring to any barbecue or summer get together. 

Caprese Pasta Salad
Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients:
1 pound pasta, such as rotini, penne or fusilli
6  tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
5-6 medium tomatoes or 1 pound cherry tomatoes, diced
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 green onions, chopped
10 basil leaves, chopped
Kosher salt and pepper

Method:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add the pasta to a large bowl. 

Mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and garlic together. Pour over cooled pasta. Add tomatoes, mozzarella, green onion, basil and salt and pepper, to taste. Toss until evenly combined. Taste and add additional olive oil, balsamic, salt and/or pepper as needed. Serve cold or at room temperature. 
Caprese Pasta Salad
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I love all things caprese (though I've never seen it with brown sugar!).

    Also, congrats! Maybe we can find a time to get together before Clarissa heads down to camp for the summer. And tell David to look forward to the 2nd trimester - we had dessert with every meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! We'd love to get together! Let's find a time for you guys to come over for dinner before Clarissa leaves. And I know that David is definitely looking forward to the dessert with every meal stage!

      Oh and the brown sugar is optional. I like a little sugar in my balsamic dressing, but you don't need it.

      Delete